Push Button Print

This is where you can ask questions and get answers regarding how all the pieces of a video messaging system should be configured. A representative will attempt to respond to all posts within one business day.

Moderator: Amy-StrandVision

zeak.smith

Push Button Print

Post by zeak.smith »

Hi,

My name is Zeak and I am new to the forum, I must admit i have only joined to try and get same answers that I can not seem to find myself. Here is my problem:

I am trying to put together a display wall of static (print) A4 displays next to each display is 2 buttons 1 button will play a short video on one of the 4 screens above the display area and the other i want to print a information sheet from a thermal printer built into the wall.

My question is how do I do this?

I have had people tell me to just put it into a free standing Kiosk but that is not the look I am going for.

Best Regards
Zeak
mjstrand
Site Admin

Re: Push Button Print

Post by mjstrand »

Just curious why you would want to install computer screens that display the same information. Also, I find myself wondering why you would print using a thermal printer (unless it is a coupon which makes total sense). If it is information, I would suspect you would want it in color. I suppose they have color thermal printers that are more cost effective these days. In my bar coding days, they were very expensive.

With what you have described, this seems like you would be best to have a custom solution made for you. You would need someone with some electronics knowledge to connect the buttons into the computer, software (probably Windows) expertise to develop the program to display your images / video and print the information. It may be possible that someone has a pre-built solution that could be used as well. Hopefully that someone will find and reply to your post too.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.
zeak.smith

Post by zeak.smith »

Hi,

Thanks for the replay just to clarify the displays people will be looking at are static printed information sheets in custom designed rack above the custom rack are 4 digital signage displays.

The printed display shows information on tours and activities in the town so the thermal print is a cheap way the give/let them take their own information on where is departs and what time and booking information

Best regards
Zeak
mjstrand
Site Admin

Post by mjstrand »

Just to clarify further, can we assume that the 4 screens (above your printed images) will normally be showing loops of different attractions, etc. (i.e. standard digital signage playback). Then when a button is pressed, one (or perhaps all) of the screens will show the video clip?
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.
zeak.smith

Post by zeak.smith »

yes that’s it exactly
mjstrand
Site Admin

Post by mjstrand »

Our Internet based software could drive the screens during the normal operation. We have the ability to change the order of playback and override all messages at certain times. We have considered having a web command that a developer could call to change the display sequence. Unfortunately, we cache multiple pages at a time during normal operation, so we would need to set it up as an emergency set of content (that is what we call it when we override all pages). Sorry, I'm kindof thinking out loud here - couldn't sleep...

We do not have any printing ability (particularly since this is internet based). Do you know of anyone who could "wire" your buttons into a keyboard (or maybe there is a product like that)? I am assuming that the thermal printer has a windows driver (that was pretty common 8 years ago when I was into bar coding). If both of these could be a "yes" answer, then the custom program would simply need to look for the "A" key on the keyboard (for example) to change the display. He would then "read' from our web site using a specific web url. That would change the screen (or all screens) to a video (really just another digital signage sequence which can include video). The program would also look for the "B" key (again for example) which would load up and print a specific file. The "C" key could be the tv button for your second printed image, etc... you get the idea (if it can be done).